Friday, August 9, 2013

Week X - The Comedy of Errors

Okay, I may have gotten a little sidetracked for a few... days there. Although there are, of course, a variety of factors, I'm going to pin my truancy on the fact that I hate dramatic irony, and The Comedy of Errors is a farce. I don't know why I hate it; farce just gives me this deep down sense of anxiety. Probably because I'm some sort of spiritual savant and sense that farce some sort of cruel allegory for our actual lives. When I overcome that anxiety, I'm just bored. The whole "she thinks he's this guy when he's actually this other guy" doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't tell me anything about the human condition (unless my anxiety is really on to something); it just reminds me about the importance of communication, which, as a writer, I'm already quite keen on.

So I'm not going to do a plot summary for The Comedy of Errors, or analyze any themes or anything. I'm just going to copy out this pearl of a speech (which, yes, makes the rest of the play an oyster. I'm not sure what that means but I'm pretty sure it's an insult, Billy).

Teach me, dear creature, how to think and speak;
Lay open to my earthy-gross conceit,
Smother'd in errors, feeble, shallow, weak,
The folded meaning of your words' deceit.
Against my soul's pure truth why labour you
To make it wander in an unknown field?
Are you a god? would you create me new?
Transform me then, and to your power I'll yield.
But if that I am I, then well I know
Your weeping sister is no wife of mine,
Nor to her bed no homage do I owe
Far more, far more to you do I decline.
O, train me not, sweet mermaid, with thy note,
To drown me in thy sister's flood of tears:
Sing, siren, for thyself and I will dote:
Spread o'er the silver waves thy golden hairs,
And as a bed I'll take them and there lie,
And in that glorious supposition think
He gains by death that hath such means to die:
Let Love, being light, be drowned if she sink!

              --3.2.31

I promise I actually like Shakespeare and will start coming over all fangirl-y in a couple of weeks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment